Sunday, September 25, 2011

snapshots, genetics retreat

Jim Skeath declared the procedures to notify overtime speakers: an iPad with words "2 min left" on the screen, and an anti-Ting Wang device: a miniature gong. It's just ordinary and uninteresting but it appeared so funny in that occasion. Jim could hardly conceal his complacent in that.

(anyone being in 2010 genetics retreat would understand what "anti-Ting Wang" means: the three talks from our lab [Ting, Brett, me] were all severely overtime, and we collectively ignored the warning of timer)

When I talked, I was so nervous that words just gushed out like a drain pipe out of control. None of my deliberately designed little jokes worked -- or merely not uttered at all.

Learned to play ultimate frisbee, in that calm, cool, beautiful afternoon on the backyard slope of Oak Creek. Everyone was yelling and chasing the flying disc like mad, several with bare foot. The water-laden cloud hovers above us, gazing at us.

That night at bar, Kevin, in the middle of traditional, unconventional, beer-drenched ping-pong game with Gautam, yelled at me how he admired my talk and work, all those restless weekends, ... stuff. I was so pleased at the comment that I got six Schlafly in, 300% over capacity, stumbling to my room before falling into slumber.

I was little disappointed that Jim didn't make more jokes during his closing remark. But I'm really thinking about filming such and his opening remark at all the future events.

No comments: