Thursday, March 12, 2009

Make friend with SAMBA

I'm doing a system admin's business, where I'm totally a dummy.

Following is trials I use to make friend with Samba (or hoax it to work for me...)

Start/stop service:
# /etc/init.d/smb start
# /etc/init.d/smb stop


Configuration file: /etc/samba/smb.conf
Content:
[global]
workgroup = MYGROUP
netbios name = HOBBIT
security = SHARE
[data]
comment = Data
path = xxxx
force user = xx
force group = xx
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

To properly use it, set seLinux to log warnings instead of blocking. I did this via GUI. And here's a method to modify its config file:

http://www.revsys.com/writings/quicktips/turn-off-selinux.html

The net location thus can be viewed on my laptop via:
smb://location/dir

The location can be viewed on windows machine via:
\\location\dir

To map it as a network drive for windows application, use following command in CMD:

net use X: \\location\dir

No comments: