Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mount NTFS device on CentOS

This morning, I inserted an external hard drive to my dear server, and got an angry message: Unsupported file system type (ntfs)!

I consulted contents on this centos wiki page:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/NTFS?highlight=(ntfs)

and followed all the instructions, including install rpmforge repository, yum update, install those weird stuff (fuse fuse-ntfs-3g dkms dkms-fuse), and tried but failed again:

# mount /dev/sdf1 /mnt/test/ -t ntfs-3g
FATAL: Module fuse not found.
ntfs-3g-mount: fuse device is missing, try 'modprobe fuse' as root


Two hours later when I was almost despair, I searched on google again, and got a top-hit link:

http://www.wains.be/index.php/2007/02/28/mount-ntfs-disks-under-centos/

I immediately went to rpmfind.org to search the RPM package, with the kernel name of the machine. and I got it.

# rpm -ivh kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.18-92.1.10.el5-2.1.27-0.rr.10.11.x86_64.rpm
# /sbin/modprobe ntfs


This just works!

No comments: